For all Scouts ages 14-20 at the time of the National Scouting Historian Summit, registration is OPEN. There are still a limited number of spaces available for youth.
Adult registration for the National Scouting Historian Summit is FULL. Sign up now for the Adult priority Wait List. Wait Listing is FREE and sign-ups will be notified when space becomes available.
See the customized tracks for participants.
Sign-ups begin late March 2019
Take a look at all the classes and who is leading them.
How do I get to the National Scouting Historian Summit at Philmont?
The first ever week-long summit for Scouting Historians at Philmont, jointly sponsored by the Order of the Arrow and the National Scouting Museum, will immerse participants in the Rules, Tools, and Strategies for capturing and preserving Scouting's rich heritage, while focusing on how to create a robust local history program.
Registration open to Scouters and all Scouts age 14 and older.
Interesting and innovative courses led by Scouting Historian experts will provide usable and comprehensive information for advanced and beginner historians alike, in a thematic flow over the week that puts "all the puzzle pieces together" into a formula for success. Themes include:
• Research - What and where to gather the information you need to document your history.
• Storytelling - How to keep it interesting and communicate in ways that engage other people.
• Inventory, Archiving and Preservation (IAP) - Everything you need to keep your collections organized, stored and protected.
• Sharing - How to get your history "out there" in books, social networking, web sites, museums, and displays.
If you can, bring the whole family. Philmont Training Center has a full schedule of fun activities including hikes, tours, evening events and a complete program for kids and significant others.
Can you think of a better way to kick off summer than a week in the Southern Rockies where the air is clean and the stars are bright?
(We hear the food
is pretty good too)
Here's the answers and links to info you need to know:
1. Five action-packed days of instruction from handpicked Scouting historian experts in relevant topics that provide the Rules, Tools, and Strategies needed to be an effective Scouting historian.
2. Meet, network, and interact with over one hundred fellow Scouting historians and National Scouting Museum staff.
3. Be among the fortunate to participate in the largest National OA and
National Scouting Museum events next summer 2019. (OA membership not required).
4. Spend a week in the Southern Rockies at Philmont Scout Ranch in June. (Need we say more?)
5. The National Scouting Historian Summit is going to be AWESOME!
Participants at the National Scouting
Historian Summit will receive this patch
109 years of Scouting. Tens of millions of Americans involved in the Scouting movement. This is OUR STORY!
We all share a common experience in the ideals and experiences of Scouting. Just the same, we all share our common history from local communities to the national movement. OUR STORY embodies how Scouting history transcends generations and programs.
During this extraordinary week, participants will learn how to research, preserve, craft, and share our story through the four thematic elements – Research; Storytelling; Inventory, Archiving, & Preservation; and Sharing.
Be a part of sharing our past, present, and future. It is going to be an incredible week, and this is OUR STORY!
Sign up to get event updates.
Questions or comments about the National Historian Summit?
Send a message, and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Philmont Scout Ranch, 17 Deer Run Rd, Philmont, New Mexico 87714, United States
Philmont Training Center (PTC) Southern Rockies Travel by car or air travel through Denver, Colorado Springs, or Albuquerque